The successful candidate will be responsible for the collection of required information from patients, creation of the patient’s medical records and the overall security and maintenance of medical records of patients. This includes categorizing, organizing, filing, and managing all medical records and information. He/She will also be responsible for the application of the patient’s health insurance, whether manually or electronically, for designated services and the review of documents for accuracy.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Create patient records using the personal information given by the patient for registration
- Retrieve files for existing patients by searching the database software, using the registration card given to the patient or by searching the index cards in the designated file cabinets
- Ascertain the patient’s purpose of visiting the hospital, whether doctor’s visit, dressing, etc.
- Apply the patient’s insurance card(s), manually or electronically, to the following services:
- Doctor’s/Office Visit
- X-Ray & Ultrasounds
- Create medical out-patient bills for patients and complete agreement/transfer forms where necessary
- Contact persons and inform them of any outstanding balance on their file/account
- Authorize forms for staff members and personnel from companies who have an agreement with the hospital.
- Make entries in the Visit and Diagnosis books daily, preferably numerous times daily, for the patients who were seen at the hospital for that given day.
- Organize records according to specified order of assembly.
- Enter data from patient records into the database.
- File patient’s dockets and index cards daily.
Required Skills and Specialized Techniques
- Ability to develop and maintain professional, service oriented working relationships with patients, physicians, co-workers and supervisors
- Good keyboard/typing skills and computer literacy
- Ability to comprehend and comply with policies and procedures
- Good written and verbal communication skills including a professional, tactful, confident and calm approach.
- Multi-tasking, detail-oriented, ability to work under pressure and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proven analytical, evaluative and problem solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and people skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Associate Degree in Health Records Management/Business Administration or equivalent qualifications
- Customer Service Certification or equivalent
- Three (3) years experience in Customer Service or related field
- Prior experience in a Medical Records Department would be an asset
Application letter along with resume should be submitted as one document by Thursday, January 26, 2023, to
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.