The incumbent will be required to provide care to patients with various types of illnesses or trauma requiring emergency attention and must be able to recognize and effectively treat life-threatening conditions in addition to general Nursing care. ER nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles.
This class of nurses differs from others in that:
For each specialty the nurse must acquire the specific advanced anatomical, psychological and therapeutic knowledge and skills specific to the care of the patient. Calculated, quick decision making is an integral part of the nurse’s function. Work involves the utilization if high technology and is performed in specialized areas such as the Operating Theatre, Intensive Care Unit, Recovery Room, Emergency Room and Out-Patient Departments, Burn Unit, Etc.
Academic Qualification and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing as a professional nurse.
- Successful completion of the prescribed training course Emergency room Nursing (CEN)
- Minimum of one (1) year emergency room (ER) nurses experience
- BLS and ACLS certification
- Cognitive skills related to the position
Examples of work:
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates care if the critically ill patient and other patients requiring specific specialized nursing care
- Anticipates potential nursing care problems and develop appropriate plans to deal with same.
- Initiates patient management in crisis situations, e.g., cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Provides preoperative, intra-operative and postoperative care for patients undergoing surgical interventions
- Cares for patients in emergency and life support setting
ER nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of ER Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Collects current symptoms, as well as a detailed history and then consults and coordinates with the health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans
- Performs triage, while considering both physical and psychosocial elements
- Manages basic life support needs and stabilizes patients until the attending physician is available, based upon nursing standards and protocol
- Knows the rudiments of and participates in situations requiring advanced cardiac life support measures
- Initiates corrective action wherever information from monitoring equipment shows adverse symptomatology
- Records patients’ current vital signs
- Works directly under physicians, assisting them during examinations, diagnostic testing and treatments
- Prepares and administers (orally, subcutaneously, parenterally) and records prescribed medications. Reports adverse reactions to medications or treatments in accordance with the policy regarding the administration of medications by a licensed registered nurse
- Provides IV therapy
- Cleans and bandages wounds
- Provide basic bedside care
- Maintains proper supplies and appropriate medical equipment to care for patients
- Reports any suspected abuse to the appropriate agencies
- Initiates patient education plan, as prescribed by the physician. Teaches patients and significant others how to manage their illness/injury, by explaining: post-treatment home care needs, diet/nutrition/exercise programs, self-administration of medication and rehabilitation, as well as provides referrals to other healthcare professionals for follow-up treatment
- Displays professionalism while completing multiple urgent tasks in a timely manner
- Records all care information concisely, accurately and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format and on the appropriate forms and or books.
- Performs his/her position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting
Depending on the setting, may also:
- Float among various clinical services, where qualified and competent
- Completes required orientation as directed by the facility
- Follows facility safety and OSHA safety rules and procedures while on assignment
- Respects cultural and religious practices of patients and the Institution
- Uphold the rights of the patients and the Institution
- Punctual and dependable for assignment/confirmed shifts
Applications along with resume should be merged and uploaded as one document by Friday, March 11, 2022, to
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.