The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) is responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction, and overall operational management of all medical services provided at the Hospital, including physician services, credentialing, medical staff administration, developing and implementing strategic plans and policies, performing clinical duties and addressing operational issues to ensure the building of effective relationships between the hospital and its Medical Staff. The CMO will liaise with the Director of Nursing to provide effective multidisciplinary approaches to clinical outcome management, environments of quality and safety and excellence in clinical outcomes. The CMO is a member of the Executive Team reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, and will serve as a community resource, providing advice and counsel to Administrators and the Board on Medical and administration matters related to the Hospital, medical practice and current affairs.
Principal Duties and Job Responsibilities:
- Partner with the Director of Nursing and other clinical and administrative leaders to create an exceptional experience for every patient.
- Help lead the transformation to a patient-centric, consumer-driven health system.
- Participate in system-wide efforts to identify, develop and disseminate standards.
- Measure and monitor local clinical performance.
- Provide regular performance feedback to physicians.
- Participate in hospital committees that directly impact clinical care.
- Lead efforts to reduce harm and hospital-acquired conditions.
- Ensure corrective actions are taken to prevent hospital professional liability (HPL)/malpractice cases
- Ensure full compliance for securing certification from all regulatory entities.
- Ensure resources are used efficiently.
- Ensure proper resolution of patient complaints.
- Create, regularly update and implement the Manual of Policies, Rules and Regulations for Doctors with Practicing Privileges.
- Serve as a part of the Medical Staff Committee
- Manage credentialing and re-credentialing of physicians.
- Work with Physicians to ensure medical documentation is complete and accurate and inpatient dockets are summarized.
- Champion the appropriate use of standard medical supplies and devices.
- Engage physicians and champion the selection of preferred physician preference items.
- Facilitate a team approach to care that supports patients’ journeys through their outpatient or inpatient stays and across the continuum of care.
- Ensure and utilize a diverse set of competencies for the delivery of services across the continuum, including collaboration, evidence-based practices, safety, utilization management, compassion and dedication to healing the whole person culture.
- Assist with the design and implementation of an organized health care delivery model for an excellent patient experience.
- Create an environment of trust between the hospital and physicians.
- Strengthen alignment between the hospital and physicians that goes beyond transactional relationships.
- Recruit physicians who support the Mission, share AMH values, and are committed to the provision of care that is safe, evidence-based, equitable and compassionate.
- Respond and make improvements based on results of physician/patient experience/satisfaction surveys.
- Supervise and support the Medical Staff Office to ensure it is adequately resourced and fulfills all of its critical functions
- Serve as a mentor and coach.
- Perform clinical duties.
- Supervise the OPD Medical Supervisor.
- Supervise the processing of Medicals for the US Embassy and monitor the staff’s performance.
- Monitor the performance of all Physicians- Full-time, Sessional, Part-time and those with Practicing Privileges.
- Oversee the preparation of medical reports.
- Demonstrate and foster respect of the inherent dignity of each patient, visitor, staff member and physician.
- Support local implementation and use of electronic health records (EHRs)-inpatient and outpatient.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and spokesperson for clinical issues and community health concerns.
- Participate in Community Clinic and AMH Outreach initiatives and champion the participation of colleague physicians.
- Facilitate physician-to-physician communication, timely movement and smooth transitions for inter-hospital transfers.
- Encourage professional development, research and activities and implement continuous education programmes.
- Prepare reports on the Medical Services Division’s activities and performance.
- Develop and implement major plans, policies and objectives for the Medical Division.
- Delivers presentations, training to staff, clients and general public.
- Networks with other relevant health related agencies locally, regionally and internationally with the aim of improving quality and effectiveness.
- Participate in the preparation of the Hospital for Disaster/Mass Casualty etc.
- Attend and participate in Board meetings.
- Fulfillment of additional duties as required.
Education and Experience required:
- MBBS degree or the equivalent
- At least five (5) years clinical experience.
- Management Qualifications (an asset)
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
- At least 2 years of administrative or executive leadership experience.
- Current Registration with the Medical Association of Jamaica
- Proficient with the Computer (MSOffice and the Internet)
- Be knowledgeable of and committed to the philosophy, principles and mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Functional Skills Required:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Good Presentation skills
- Exceptional Customer Service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good planning, organizational, analytical and decision-making skills
- Quick Learner
- Meticulous, detailed, well-organized and able to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Tactful and discrete when dealing with people and confidential information
- Excellent time management skills to balance administrative role and other required functions.
- Great team player
Application letter along with resume should be submitted as one document by Thursday, January 26, 2023, to:
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.