The incumbent will be responsible for direct and indirect nursing care and treatment of patients/clients. The job is performed under the direct supervision of the Nursing Supervisor or designated Charge Nurse. The incumbent is expected to work as a team member in providing and promoting excellence in nursing care and standards.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- BSc. in General Nursing from an accredited School of Nursing
- Current registration with the Nursing Council of Jamaica as a Registered Nurse.
- Graduate with beginning professional skills up to a maximum of five (5) years moving from novice to expert staff nurse.
- Fundamentals of Nursing: Life, Behavioral, Natural and Medical science, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Introduction to Research Methodology, Nutrition, Diagnostic test and treatment, Elements of Management, Nursing Health and Related Legislation.
Skills and Competencies
- Positive work attitude, sound ethical conduct, good human relations, basic nursing philosophy, calm, controlled and purposeful manner, positive work ethics, punctual, reliable.
- Clinical, communication, interpersonal, leadership, diagnostic/problem solving skills.
- Foundations of nursing, good decision making and determine causes of action on patients’/clients’ problems.
- Ability to differentiate and discriminate/determine the patients’ need for medical intervention
- Fundamentals of analysis and interpretation of diagnostic report and data
- Supervises other nurses and other members of the health team
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain the code of ethics of the nursing profession
- Demonstrate awareness of patients’ condition at all times.
- Develops, implements , evaluates a nursing care plan for the individual patent/client using all the relevant data
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize in any situation
- Observes and records vital signs and symptoms, adjusts and modifies care plan according to observation made of the patients’ physical and mental status.
- Interprets and administers prescription, treatment and monitors the patients’ reaction to ensure the best possible outcomes.
- Anticipates potential and predictable problems and institutes early intervention to prevent or reduce occurrence e.g. disorientation, pain, physiological alterations, disturbance in acuity, rest and sleep patterns, elimination and nutrition.
- Acts promptly, appropriately and effectively in emergency situations.
- Performs nursing procedures that are appropriate to the needs, age and acuity level of the patient.
- Provides personal care, comfort, supportive and protective measures e.g. patients coping mechanisms in adjusting to illness and rehabilitation, mobilization and independence.
- Employs nursing measures to facilitate patients’/clients’ physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual wellbeing
- Monitors the nutritional care of patients with special attention to therapeutic diets.
- Documents nursing care and all other information promptly, clearly and completely and relates as necessary to relevant persons.
- Ensures proper collection, identification, storage and safe transportation of specimens to the laboratory with appropriate requisition forms.
- Performs simple diagnostic tests and interprets findings e.g. urinalysis, B-HCG urine tests
- Understands the proper functioning and utilization of equipment pertinent to duties being performed.
- Introduces and maintains habilitative, rehabilitative, and exceptional recreative measures to facilitate progress.
- Participates in implementing disaster preparedness program at unit level.
- Participates in quality assurance programs.
- Ensures environmental safety of patients’ care unit and sees that appropriate health and safety measures are in place.
- Implements discharge/care plan including referral to appropriate agency.
- Performs and maintains a therapeutic nurse/client relationship.
- Participates in In-Service Education programs and serves on committees as required.
- All other duties as assigned
Depending on the setting, may also
- Rotate through various clinical services, where qualified and competent
- Completes required orientation as directed by the facility
- Follows facility safety and OSHA safety rules and procedures while on assignment
- Respects cultural and religious practices of patients and the Institution
- Upholds the rights of the patients and the Institution
- Is punctual and dependable for assignment/confirmed shifts
Applications along with resume should be merged and uploaded as one document by Friday, March 11, 2022, to
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.